We use Amazon affiliate links and may receive a small commission on purchases
Best Face Cream for Men: Perfect Moisturizer for Dry, Oily & Combination Skin 
Although women’s products have dominated the facial cosmetics market, this approach has changed dramatically in recent years, and for good reason.
QUICK ANSWER – THE Best Face Cream for Men
[table id=3 /]
More and more men are concerned about taking care of their skin, especially facial skin, and many already have a daily facial care routine.
In this routine, a good face cream plays a very important role, since it will not only help you achieve a healthier and more youthful appearance, but it will also contain key ingredients to help you solve the most common skin problems, such as dehydration, wrinkles, or excess fat.
There are many male face creams, from moisturizers to anti-wrinkles (we will see later) so choosing only one is not an easy task.
Do not worry, let’s help you! We have selected the best men’s face creams from among the most popular brands and best-selling products; but for the choice of products, we have gone directly to INCI.
So we have analyzed each cream ingredient by ingredient until we find the product that has the best ingredients.
Each ingredient is explained only once, so if I have already analyzed it in another article, I leave the link so you can easily locate it.
In addition, in this entry, I have only put the complete analysis of the two best options, of the remaining creams there is only a summary, but I have not forgotten to put the link with the article of the complete analysis, for those who want to see it well specified.
And after the analysis, do not miss the complete information about face creams, how to use them, what criteria to follow when choosing them, etc.
4 Best Face Creams for Men
An intensive, multi-action cream that efficiently addresses the most common problems for men’s skin, such as fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, excess oil, or blemishes.
So it is my first choice, and the cream I use at the moment. The best face cream for men analyzed and tested, so far.
Without misleading advertising, without slogans that hide the truth, and with maximum transparency. In fact, on its website you can see the breakdown of the price of the cream, what each penny that the product costs goes to.
It is suitable for all skin types, is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and is not tested on animals.
For the price, for philosophy, for packaging, and above all, for ingredients. Ingredients that, as you will see, are of the highest quality and are in very high proportions.
You have the complete analysis of this cream in the article Best Anti-Wrinkle Creams for Men, so there is little point in re-analyzing each ingredient.
A hydrating lotion that works a blend of vitamins and antioxidants at night, while you are resting, so in addition to intense hydration, your skin will enjoy the restorative equivalent of a good night’s sleep.
It contains a powerful antioxidant complex and vitamins, which help protect the skin from harmful free radicals and from environmental aggressions, such as the sun or the wind. Repairs, restore, and protect the skin against the visible signs of aging. It also reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
It has a good amount of moisturizers, humectants, and antioxidants that can well cope with the signs of aging; as well as other absorbents, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial agents that can be beneficial for oily and acne-prone skin.
It also has no alcohol, fragrances or perfume (and the only irritating ingredient is in a very low proportion), so it can be used by sensitive skin.
Therefore, we are dealing with a good quality moisturizing, anti-aging, and protective cream.
As I say in the complete analysis, it is one of the best face cream for men, which will hydrate for its emollients; it has the regenerating capacity of aloe vera, botanical hyaluronic acid, jojoba, and shea.
In contrast, it has several ingredients that I prefer in my cosmetics because it is free from irritants, sensitizers, and harmful ingredients, some in high proportions.
It has a very good price, but for my taste, it comes in a good format (almost 118 ml) that can be more easily easy to use. What I like most about it is that its texture is light and it absorbs very well.
I am not a catastrophe. I know that each cosmetic has regulation and that they cannot have a proportion of these ingredients, that exceeds the maximum allowed by the official bodies of Europe. However, there is no regulation, or control, on the joint use of various products.
This combined effect is derived from these small amounts of toxins over the years and years of application. And the results are skin problems, at best.
Bulldog is one of the best men face cream and a brand that cares about sensitive men’s skin, formulating its products without parabens, artificial colors, or synthetic fragrances. And it doesn’t include ingredients of animal origin, making it a great option for vegans
This moisturizer for sensitive skin is made up of three essential assets, Green Algae, Konjac Mangano, and Vitamin E, but to see what proportion they are in, we are going to analyze the INCI.
Although the brands promote their creams with their active ingredients, they are not always in the concentrations that they should. On the other hand, what is the same, in the first places of the INCI, to have an effect?
This is the case of the Bulldog moisturizer, which uses a couple of botanicals as moisturizers, but its quantity is not optimal to achieve this effect.
As a moisturizer, it has several active ingredients with moisturizing and moisturizing functions, in addition to emollients and softening agents; however, the assets are not in the proper proportions.
Both konjac extract and baobab oil are after the tenth ingredient when they could and should be in the top five on the list.
And although it is true that we do not find parabens, artificial colors, or synthetic fragrances, I have seen a couple of irritating ingredients and the much-used toxic preservative.
I hope that irritants are neutralized by the soothing ingredients, and do not worsen sensitive skin. The case of Phenoxyethanol worries me, since it is usually in the last positions, however, this time it is in 4th place, and therefore, it has a higher concentration.
Types of Male Facial Creams
As you may know, there is no one type of face cream. Some designs for specific purposes, such as improving the appearance of wrinkles or provide sun protection. While others are only designed to hydrate.
I will describe the function of each one of them so that you can choose the one that best suits you according to your needs
As the name suggests, it is primarily responsible for moisturizing dry and dehydrated skin, helping to prevent any problems from dryness, such as peeling, itching, redness, or cracking.
Water is often the main ingredient in moisturizers, which are absorbed by the skin and other ingredients retain, although there are also oil-based moisturizers for the most damaged skin.
It is a cream designed to treat the problems of aging, such as wrinkles, age spots, expression lines, and sagging.
They also often have moisturizing agents, as lack of hydration is one of the main problems that cause the signs of aging
The sun, acne or the passage of time, produce spots on the skin, and these creams are specifically formulated to blur and prevent them.
The formulas have active ingredient complexes with lightening properties that affect different stages of melanin synthesis, thus reducing hyperpigmentation and preventing the formation of new pigment spots.
Alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids are also very common ingredients in anti-stain creams, as they help to renew the skin.
There are many factors, such as poor hygiene, hormones, and genetics, which can cause and exacerbate acne breakouts.
The solution goes through a cream that can descale the pores of impurities, and accumulated dead skin. In addition to acting as an antibacterial to eliminate these acne-causing bacteria.
Anti-inflammatories and exfoliants are also good allies in these creams.
They are usually thicker and oily creams than day creams because they are designed to provide deep nourishment at night.
The key difference between night and day creams is that night creams have more ingredients that are active, and these assets need to stay on the skin for longer.
Day creams are lighter and less greasy than night creams, and usually have the added benefit of a sun protection factor to protect the skin from sun damage.
Many day creams have long-lasting assets to ensure hydration and protection throughout the day (some up to 48 hours).
before buying a tonic
If you really want to properly hydrate and protect your skin, then you should wisely choose your face cream. Choosing one among all the options there is not easy since you have to take into account several factors, such as your skin type, your age, the weather, or the ingredients that make up the cream.
We will explain them all in detail:
Type of skin
In general, almost all men fit these 5 skin types:
- Sensitive:Irritated, red, peeling, and tight skin is an indication that you have dry skin. When inflame or irritate by wind, heating, and sun exposure, dry skin can be particularly painful. If this is your case, look for creams that avoid the ingredients most susceptible to causing irritation, including those with strong chemicals found in certain alcohols. In addition, ideally, it should have soothing ingredients that minimize any irritation that may occur.
- Oily: Oily skin develops shine shortly after facial cleansing, due to excess oil, and can be recognized by large pores and the constant accumulation of dirt, causing blackheads and acne breakouts. If you have oily skin, avoid creams that have natural oils as a base. These products will make your face look too much-unwanted shine. Instead, choose a light, water-based cream that contains some essential oils and absorbs excess oil to eliminate shine.
- Dry: Contrary to oily skin, dry skin requires an oil-based facial cream with various moisturizing agents and antioxidants to help counteract flaking, in addition to filling in small wrinkles that may be starting to form. If your skin is exceptionally dry and easily cracked, look for a moisturizer that has a petroleum jelly base.
- Normal: Some people are naturally endowed with even skin that is neither dry nor oily. Although hydration is still important, most well-formulated products are suitable for this skin. Follow a standard routine to keep your pores clean and your skin free of blemishes.
- Mixed: Your T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) may be oily, with open pores that produce black spots, yet your cheeks are dry. This is described as a combination of skin and is quite common among men. Exfoliating the T-zone to help decrease fat production will help balance the skin. A light cream will help provide balanced care on the entire face.
Over the years, it becomes more difficult to retain moisture from the skin, synthesize more collagen, and keep the dermis nourished. That is why it is important to start a hydration and skincare routine as soon as possible, even when you are young and still do not have a problem.
But prevention is better than cure, and the sooner you start, you’ll likely have great long-term results, firmer, wrinkle-free, and deeply hydrated skin.
The climate of the place where you live and your environment have a great impact on the health of your skin. Your skin does not have the same needs when it is cold and the environment is dry, as when it is hot or there is a lot of humidity, so you may need to adapt it to the climate and environment.
Brand and Price
There is no need to worry about the brand of cream, as it is not what matters. There is no problem choosing a trustworthy brand that you have heard of well, or that you have already tried other products on, but before choosing head over to the ingredient list.
The price of a men’s facial cream can vary widely and is not a condition for your purchase. I have found many fantastic cosmetics that are very cheap, and I have come across very expensive creams whose ingredients are of poor quality.
If you have found a product that has quality ingredients, and that works for your skin, go ahead! Although a little expensive, it will be worth every penny spent.
I cannot help but emphasize the importance of ingredients in any personal care product (be it male or female). What you have to stay with is that you should not ignore the list of ingredients in any cosmetics you want to use.
These are some of the ingredients, which should appear in a good face cream:
- Hyaluronic acid: The skin loses elasticity and firmness with age due to the loss of water from the cells. Hyaluronic acid is one of the best moisturizing actives that exist, as it is capable of absorbing a large amount of water, preventing its loss, and thus plumping the skin again.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants help repair damaged skin and come in many forms: green tea, vitamin C, vitamin A, grape seed oil, etc. Scientifically speaking, antioxidants help neutralize unstable oxygen molecules (also known as free radicals) that break down collagen in the skin and cause wrinkles, among other damages.
- Retinol: Retinol (or vitamin A) is a very common ingredient in skincare products. It acts as an exfoliating agent to reduce dead skin cells, and it stimulates collagen and elastin by stimulating cell repair at the deepest levels of the skin.
- Peptides: Facial tension and repetition of grimaces form wrinkles on the face. Some peptides like Argireline and Matrixyl help by relaxing the tension in the muscles of the face, thus avoiding the formation of folds and wrinkles.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA): Alpha hydroxy acids are found naturally in many fruits and are slightly acidic. They help remove dead skin cells while smoothing it out. They are soft enough to apply regularly.
- Moisturizing agents: There are several moisturizing agents, such as mineral oils, petrolatum, and lanolin (called occlusives and emollients); and humectants such as glycerin, squalane, and alpha-hydroxy acids. These compounds prevent water loss and fill the spaces between cells to give it a smooth, plump appearance.
- Solar filter: If a cream also protects your skin against the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun, it is always a plus. Look for a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 15. How do you know if these ingredients are in the formulation? Good question. For this, it is important to know how to read an ingredient list (INCI). If you do not know how to interpret it, we help you do it.
Each cosmetic product includes certain information that will help us choose the product we are looking for. Therefore, it is very important not to ignore this useful information.
Cosmetic products are subject to European legislation that guarantees their safety. These laws require certain information to be printed on the packaging, such as the list of ingredients, the content, any warnings that may be necessary on how to use the product safely, and the shelf life or expiration date to indicate how long it can be kept. The product.
All ingredients used in the formula must be list according to a common naming system called the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients, or INCI. And you have to respect a series of rules:
- It must be headed by the word INGREDIENTS.
- The ingredients must be list in order of weight in the product, this way; the ingredients with the highest proportion will be in the first place, and so on. There is a caveat, if the ingredients are less than 1%, they can be arranged in the order they want. From this, it follows that most of the assets should be in these first positions.
- Colors use the Color Index Number, or CI Number, an international naming system, for example, “CI 15580”.
- Parfum is the mixture of perfumes in a cream, which can be made up of different ingredients, but these do not have to be specified. Therefore, among these ingredients, there may be irritating, allergenic, or sensitizing compounds.
- The fragrance is an odor that has been added to a product. When it is specified that the cream has no fragrance, it means that no fragrance has been added to the product, but it can still be perfumed with the smell of other ingredients.
- Hypoallergenic means that a cosmetic is less likely to cause allergic reactions.
- Non-comedogenic describes those products that do not clog pores (blackheads are comedones), and must be present in any product for the treatment of acne.
- Organic is perhaps the most abused term in cosmetics since a product can be label as organic even if it only contains 1% organic ingredients. Some brands have certifications of different organic standards, but any law does not back these.
- Every cosmetic with a shelf life of fewer than 30 months must indicate an expiration date. Products with a shelf life of more than 30 months must show a “period after opening”; that is, the time in months that the product will remain in good condition after opening.
Ingredients to avoid
The brand or the price is not the only thing that you should take into account when buying a tonic. There are things that matter more.
Parabens occur in nature as plant hormones and are present in various foods. They are widely used in cosmetics (and to a lesser extent in food products), to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi.
So far so good, but parabens can be quite harmful to our skin. In order not to extend myself too much, I leave you this link with an article on the symptoms, consequences, and benefits of parabens.
They are generally list as butylparaben, ethylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, or isobutyparaben.
Especially important to avoid on sensitive or dry skin, since products that contain large amounts of alcohol (the ingredient will be very high on the INCI list) are considered drying and irritating to the skin since they eliminate natural fat.
Avoid names like ethanol, methanol, isopropyl alcohol or benzyl alcohol, SD alcohol or alcohol denat
Detergents and surfactants that break down surface tension and separate molecules, creating foam. Sulfates are under scrutiny as they cause skin irritation, and can alter hormones if use and consumed in large quantities.
The acronyms are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium Laureth sulfate (SLES), and ammonium lauryl sulfate.
The controversial thing about preservatives is that they cannot be avoided at all, as they are necessary to prevent the formula from being spoil by bacteria, yeasts, and molds.
But their abuse is not good either.
There are many preservatives, that are harmful to the skin and health, and many of them are responsible for the combined effect that I talked about earlier.
Since it is an unavoidable ingredient, make sure the formula is in the smallest amount possible. You can check this by locating them in the INCI, or by looking at the expiration date of the cream.
As is logical, the less preservatives, the shorter the shelf life of the cream. You will then need to indicate the expiration date on the packaging.